Popular Car Insurance Providers in Malaysia

Interested in Car Insurance?

Read popular articles on Car Insurance from our experts

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I do not have an insurance cover?

In case you do not have an insurance cover, not only you’ll have to pay a penalty of up to RM 3,000 but your road tax receipt will also be seized until you get an insurance cover. Moreover, you’ll also get your name registered in the offenders list. Furthermore, if you meet with an accident, all the payments regarding the damages to your vehicle, any physical injuries, and the losses incurred by the third party shall be paid by you.

Is road tax receipt mandatory while renewing a car insurance policy?

Yes, you need to have the road tax receipt in order to get a new insurance policy or to renew an old one.

What information is sent to the Department of Road Transport (JPJ) during the verification part of the renewal process?

Information like the engine number and the chassis number of the vehicle being insured, owner’s National Registration Identity Card, and the starting & ending date of the insurance cover are sent to the Department of Road Transport.

What should I do if I need a roadside repair assistance for my car?

Different insurance policies come with distinct features. First, you need to check whether your insurance provider is offering roadside assistance with the policy you are purchasing or not. In case you need the roadside assistance during the protection period, simply make a call to your insurance provider and ask for the service to be provided.

Will I lose my NCD if I make a claim against my insurance policy?

Yes, once you make a claim against your insurance cover, you need to go claim-less for 12 successive months to become eligible for No Claim Discount again.

Will my car accessories such as music system, be covered under my motor insurance policy?

Only the factory fitted parts of a vehicle are covered by an insurance policy. Hence, any other accessories or parts which are non-factory fitted cannot be benefited with an insurance cover.

Where should I make a claim if I am injured by an uninsured vehicle?

In case of an unsuccessful third-party claim, you can head to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Malaysia (MIB) to make your claim. However, the MIB will only be providing you with a compensation amount concerning your physical injuries and any damages done to your vehicle shall be taken care of by you.

What is a compulsory excess?

Whenever you make a claim against the loss or any damage incurred by your vehicle, you need to pay an additional fee called compulsory excess. However, this amount is deducted from your compensation amount.

How do I get the insurance cover note and road tax for my vehicle if it has been blacklisted?

The only way is to contact the Department of Road Transport (JPJ) and settle any outstanding dues/fines to get insurance note and road tax for your vehicle.
View More