2021 Toyota Fortuner: Variants explained
After months of wait and anticipation, UMW Totoya has finally launched the revamped Fortuner in Malaysia yesterday. The new iteration does not only come with exterior revisions, rather it gets a lot of new features inside and a new powerful engine under the hood that drives a wave of excitement among the Fortuner fans.
In the Malaysian market, the new iteration is available in a total of three variants powered by different engine options. Here we bring all the details on the new trims for the ones who are interested in owning a new Fortuner. So let’s get started with the price.
2021 Toyota Fortuner price in Malaysia
Price (On-the-road price including SST, without insurance)
Toyota Fortuner 2.8 VRZ AT 4×4
Toyota Fortuner 2.7 SRZ AT 4×4
Toyota Fortuner 2.4 AT 4×4 (only available in Sabah, Sarawak, and Labuan)
Toyota Fortuner 2.7 SRZ AT 4×4
Starting with the Fortuner SRZ, the facelifted version has a unique front fascia featuring a new wavy radiator grille with chrome accents, new LED headlights, new LED DRLs, and new LED fog lamps. However, the rear end is almost similar to the outgoing model with just new and slimmer looking LED tail lights. The SUV runs on 18-inch alloy wheels.
Moving towards the cabin, here the SUV’s dashboard design remains largely unchanged but Toyota has loaded it with a number of interesting features, which includes:
- 9-inch infotainment system with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto connectivity
- New 4.2-inch colour multi-info display
- Automatic air-conditioning with auto rear vents
- Cruise control
- Variable flow control power steering
- Normal, Eco, and Power driving modes
- Smart entry and start system
- LED interior lamps
- Illuminated entry with push start and room
- Electrochromic rear-view mirror
- Vehicle telematics system
- 8-way powered front seats
- Side controls for the front passenger seat
- Leather seat upholstery with red accents
UMW Toyota also offers optional accessories such as a wireless charger (RM 490), a kick sensor powered tailgate (RM 750), a rear digital video recorder (RM 350), and a ceiling-mounted monitor (RM 2,990).
Engine: As the name implies, the Fortuner 2.7 SRZ is equipped with a 2.7-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine churning out 166 PS and 245 Nm. It is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission that sends power to the four-wheel-drive system. There is also an auto-limited slip-differential system that maximizes the traction without limiting engine power.
Safety: Toyota has fitted the new Fortuner with world-class safety and driver-assistance features, including:
- Seven airbags (driver, front passenger, side, curtain & driver knee)
- Vehicle stability control
- Hill-start assist control
- Active traction control
- Downhill assist control
- Anti-lock brake system with electronic brake-force distribution and brake assist
- Panoramic view monitor
- Blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert
- Front/rear parking sensors
Fortuner 2.8 VRZ A/T 4x4
Moving up the ladder, we have the most expensive 2021 Fortuner VRZ variant, which features the sportier Legender face seen on the Thai-spec model. It looks aggressive with a slim upper grille featuring a mesh-style insert and an angry-looking lower intake in the same pattern. Also adding to its sporty appearance are automatic quad-LED headlights (with follow me home function), sleeker LED fog lamp housing, and a grey painted diffuser.
Other distinctive design elements include sequential LED turn signals, a blacked-out roof, A-pillars, wing mirrors, roof spoiler, dual-tone 18-inch wheels, an exclusive rear bumper, and L-shaped LED tail lights.
Inside the cabin, all the features of the VRZ are the same as the SRZ except a few ones. It has illuminated door trims, center console, footwell, push start, and room, also there is a Sports driving mode.
Engine: The top-spec 2.8 VRZ has a new powertrain under the bonnet that’s a 2.8-litre turbo diesel mill capable of generating 204 PS of maximum power at 3,400 rpm and a peak torque of 500 Nm from 1,600 to 2,800 rpm. The new engine is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, optimized head gasket, and a cylinder block structure along with a black shaft for better NVH.
Safety: Over and above the standard safety features, the range-topping Fortuner comes with the Toyota Safety Sense for the first time. It includes three driver assists:
- Pre-collision system with auto brake: It automatically alerts the driver with a buzzer and applies the brakes in case of an increased risk of a frontal collision.
- Lane departure alert with yaw assist: It alerts the driver when the vehicle goes out of the lane unintentionally and applies additional brake force to the inner wheels to correct its direction.
- Dynamic radar cruise control: It uses a vehicle-to-vehicle distance control system that automatically adjusts the SUV’s speed to maintain a safe distance.
Toyota Fortuner 2.4 AT 4×4
This variant sits at the bottom of the Fortuner lineup, which is bound for East Malaysia. Under the hood, it gets a 2.4-litre diesel engine good for 150 PS and 400 Nm.
In the end, we can conclude that all the variants of the new Fortuner facelift are amazingly loaded with modern-day features that can give a hard run of money to the rivals.