Volvo XC90 - Variants explained
Volvo has been displaying its superiority in the luxurious SUV segment for many years now via its superb XC90. Probably, the safest SUV available in the market right now, the Volvo XC90 never failed to impress its customers or potential buyers. However, to make sure its customers are getting all the latest features that it has to offer, Volvo launched the 2020 XC90 in Malaysia last month.
The new 2020 Volvo XC90 is a facelift rather than being a major update. And, perhaps, that’s why it continues to have the same three variants as before - T5, T8 Inscription, and T8 Inscription Plus. Let’s see what these are all about.
To be honest, it is very difficult to spot any major differences among all the three 2020 Volvo XC90 variants. And since even the base T5 variant costs a bomb, Volvo hardly skimped any big features from it.
When it comes to aesthetics, the XC90 is as modern and elegant as it gets. It has a very beautiful and odd design which we find lovely.
Some of its exquisite exterior features are-
- The front gets Volvo’s signature T-shaped LED DRLs that are integrated into the headlight assembly itself
- Also, the new model gets a revised front grille whose chrome vertical slats are now concaved for a more distinctive appearance
- If you look closely, you would also notice some new chrome garnishing on the front bumper. Volvo has also thrown in a set of newly designed alloy wheels
- And, of course, at the rear, we have the famous vertical taillights which help us to spot a Volvo
These aforementioned exterior features are common among all the three variants.
Just like the exterior, the interior of the XC90 is very much the same between its available variants. It cocoons the occupants in its luxury and provides utmost comfort. There is ample amount of space for the people to move around.
What are the interesting interior features?
Ans. Following are some of the key and interesting interior features of the Volvo XC90 -
- Large 9-in central touch screen which has a high-resolution display for better user experience
- It can be operated with gloves on
- Comes with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as well as navigation
- Large digital instrument cluster behind the steering wheel shows all the necessary information a driver would need
- Leather-covered dashboard
- Adjustable side support at the front chairs
- Bowers and Wilkins audio system with 19 speakers
For the 2020 model, Volvo added a new Orrefors crystal gear knob in the top-most T8 Inscription variant to remind you how privileged you are. On the other hand, in the 2020 T5 variant, we now have AC vents in the C-pillar for the 3rd-row passengers, four-zone climate control, and a cooled glovebox.
What are the seating options?
Ans. Before the XC90 was available in four-, five-, and seven-seater configuration, however, Volvo added a new six-seater configuration in the 2020 model of the XC90.
What are the engine options available with the XC90?
Ans. As per the 2020 Volvo XC90 specs sheet, there are two engine options available. The first one is the 2.0T engine that powers up the base T5 variant. It has 254 bhp of max power and 350 Nm of torque.
The other engine option is the T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid which, as you must have guessed by now, is responsible for powering the remaining two T8 variants. It produces 407 bhp of max power and 640 Nm of torque. And for the new 2020 model, Volvo increased the battery capacity of this hybrid engine from 10.4 kWh to 11.6 kWh which resulted in a hike in the combined power output which now is 420 bhp!
Also, due to the increased battery capacity, the XC90 can now cover 50 km on only electric power. That’s an improvement of 15% than before!
How safe is the Volvo XC90?
Ans. There is no denying the fact that Volvo really makes some of the safest vehicles. It spends an abundance amount of money in research and development of new safety features all the time.
Some of the safety features that you will find in the XC90 are-
- Dual-stage airbags
- Anti-submarining protection
- Side impact protection system
- Whiplash protection system
- Intelligent driver system
There are many more. For the 2020 model, Volvo added a few more safety features like-
- ‘City Safety with Automatic Brake’ technology, which is the only one in the market to detect pedestrians, cyclists, and large animals
- Steering Assist for the City Safety and Blind Spot Information systems
- Oncoming Lane Mitigation system
- Park Assist Pilot (parallel and perpendicular parking)
- 360 surround-view camera (T5 rear only)
So what exactly is the major difference between the XC90’s variants?
Ans. Well, if you ask us, we said it before and we are going to say it again, all the variants of the XC90 are more or less the same. However, if you are asking one major difference among them, we would say that’ll be the engine, of course, keeping the price out of the equation!
Talking about the price, the 2020 Volvo XC90 price starts at RM 373,888.
2020 Volvo XC90 variant-wise price list-
|Variant||Price (on-road w/o insurance)|
|T5 Momentum||RM 373,888|
|T8 Twin Engine Inscription||RM 399,888|
|T8 Twin Engine Inscription Plus||RM 409,888|
Also Read: 2020 Volvo XC90 - First impression