Mitsubishi Xpander: Is it worth the RM91,369 price tag?
It was only two weeks ago when Mitsubishi Motors Malaysia (MMM) previewed the all-new 2020 Xpander. Back then the automaker also opened the seven-seater crossover's order books with over 2k bookings already collected. And now MMM has announced Xpander's official price tag that reads RM 91,369 on-the-road without insurance, with 2020 SST exemption. Included in Mitsubishi Xpander's price is a standard 5-year unlimited mileage warranty.
Mitsubishi hasn't officially launched the vehicle yet, however prospective customers can test drive the Xpander from Nov 20th.
Before we start analysing Mitsubishi Xpander price worth, here are a few things about the car you should know, they are as follows -
- The Mitsubishi Xpander will be locally-assembled at the automaker's Hicom Automotive Manufacturer plant located in Pekan. It is the same factory where MMM recently added a new tester line, body shop, and painting jig
- After Indonesia and Vietnam, Malaysia is the third country where Xpander will be manufactured
- In Malaysia, the seven-seater Xpander will be offered in a single trim option, meaning it will be well equipped with a Malaysia-only kit exclusive to the local market
- Ever since its debut in August 2017, the Xpander has proved to be a successful product for the company at a global level, and we expect the same for Malaysia
How does one analyse a car's worth? Well, we can check out other options available in the segment under the set price tag along with the features that are on offer.
Available options in the segment around Xpander's price are -
- 2020 Proton X70 base variant: RM 94,800
- Honda BR-V top variant: RM 93,420
- Toyota Rush top variant: RM 91,885
- Toyota Avanza top variant: RM 84,325
Mitsubishi Xpander: Features on offer
The Mitsubishi Xpander is powered by a 4A91 MIVEC naturally-aspirated 1.5-litre engine making a maximum power of 105 PS along with a peak torque of 141 Nm at 4,000 rpm. The generated power is sent to the front axle via a four-speed automatic transmission.
On the equipment front, the seven-seater crossover will come packed with features both inside-out with even the safety kit loaded with several best-in-class systems. Included in the list are the following exterior features -
- Bi-LED reflector headlamps with LED DRLs
- LED taillamps
- 16-inch two-tone alloy wheels
Xpander interior features -
- Quilted leather seats
- A 4.2-inch multi-info information cluster
- 9-inch touchscreen display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- 360-degree camera system (exclusive to MY)
- Dash Cam (exclusive to MY)
- Keyless entry with push start
- Roof-mounted rear air vents
- Six speakers
Xpander safety inclusions -
- Two airbags (no more to keep it affordable)
- ABS with EBD
- Hill Start Assist
- Stability Control
- ISOFIX child seat anchors
On comparing Xpander's price and features, it is clear that the seven-seater people's carrier is an affordable option in the category.